有方向 前進 快樂活好每一天

Friday, March 16, 2007

A Website in Ch 3 (CALL Essentials)


Ch3---Developing and Practicing Listening and Speaking Skills

Adam Rado’s English Learning Fun Site(ELFS)
http://www.elfs.com/
This is the website I visited this week!
☆ I’m not going to use some guidelines on p.45 to evaluate this website, in other words, I will use my own way, which I think it’s more suitable for this website, to share what do I know and feel with you!

*First Contact:
To be honest, I think the homepage is a little bit confusing for me. Though there are only a few columns there, it’s not as easy as visiting SchMOOze University, which I introduced last week. Oh, maybe that’s because I’m still not quite used to learning English though English website. Before long, I decide to move my mouse to “books” part because there are two index fingers!

*Get into the “book” part:
There are three different columns that can help learners to acquire different English ability. For me, the most attracting part is TOON IN To IDIOMS. It uses funny pictures (in a pretty “comic” way) to help learners to remember the definition of the idioms. I think this is fascinating! When I was in senior high, my English tutor asked me to learn idioms by reading a book ( COMPACT FUN WITH IDIOMS ) Just like this website, the book also uses pictures and interesting dialogue to help students to learn idioms. I used to consider the book is the bible for me to learn idioms, but now I get another bible, which is the website! For most ESL students, it’s hard to memorize idioms and put them in to practice. But now, I do believe that we can learn better with the help pf this website.

*What do I learn?
This website also provides IDIOM QUIZ for learners to check their leaning. This is a really sweet idea!

*Room for improvement:

Just like what I’ve mentioned in the beginning, there are so many “indefinite” links on the pages, and this makes me do not know where to click. I mean, many links in this website do not have a very clear and specific instruction to follow. So, I cannot know what the link is after I click it. This is inconvenient and kind of wasting time.

*Here comes a conclusion:

Though there is some drawback in the website, I still strongly recommend learners to pay a visit! Because you will find out that learning idioms is not as difficult as you thought!

No comments: